Ananda Developments - Research Roundup
Announcement provided byAnanda Developments Plc · ANA
ANANDA DEVELOPMENTS PLC
("Ananda" or the "Company")
Ananda is an AQSE-listed medical cannabis company creating
Medical Cannabis Research Roundup
February 2023 saw a number of interesting research papers into medical cannabis with strong evidence into the efficacy and safety of CBD, in particular. In addition,
- Review paper details the breadth of therapeutic potential of cannabidiol.
- Pure cannabidiol shows effectiveness and safety in in pilot study in the treatment of mastocytosis.
- A paper outlining the pharmacology of psoriasis acknowledges the potential benefits of phytocannabinoids in the treatment of the disease and recommends appropriate clinical trials.
REVIEW PAPER DETAILS THE BREADTH OF THERAPEUTIC POTENTIAL OF CANNABIDIOL.
- Cannabis has been widely used as a palliative treatment to control pain. However, owing to THC, several concerns have arisen regarding its clinical and recurrent use, facing resistance at many levels (clinical, societal, and political).
- Cannabidiol or CBD, is commonly known for its anti-inflammatory, anticonvulsant, and anxiolytic properties. The molecular mechanisms by which CBD exerts its beneficial effects have revealed several pathways of action through which CBD interacts with multiple receptors. Nonetheless, a comprehensive perspective is still needed to deeply understand CBD activity.
- Several clinical studies have been and are still being performed to understand the safety and applicability of CBD in such conditions. Thus far, the available data suggest that CBD is well tolerated, with the main adverse effect being diarrhoea. However, CBD's interaction with other medications still requires further enlightenment.
- The full clinical application of CBD is yet to be established; however, its therapeutic potential and use as an alternative to more classical treatments is unavoidable.
- The molecular mechanisms involved in CBD's biological effects are not limited to its interaction with classical cannabinoid receptors, exerting anti-inflammatory or pain-relief effects. Several pieces of evidence demonstrate that CBD interacts with other receptors and cellular signalling cascades, which further support CBD's therapeutic potential beyond pain management.
- This review looks at the molecular mechanisms of CBD and its potential therapeutic application in the context of cancer, neurodegeneration, and autoimmune diseases.
- The versatility of CBD is demonstrated by the range of mechanisms it is shown to act on.
PURE CANNABIDIOL SHOWS EFFECTIVENESS AND SAFETY IN IN PILOT STUDY IN THE TREATMENT OF MASTOCYTOSIS.
- Mastocytosis is a disease characterized by the infiltration of abnormal mast cells (MCs) into the skin and/or other organs - causing swelling and pain - an abnormal immune system event.
- Although best known for their role in allergy and anaphylaxis, mast cells play an important protective role as well, being intimately involved in wound healing, angiogenesis, immune tolerance, defence against pathogens, and vascular permeability in brain tumours.
- Mastocytosis-associated pain is a disabling, difficult-to-treat symptom. Patients most often present with the musculoskeletal pain/abdominal pain/headache triad, together with diffuse neuropathic pain in some cases.
- The patients' functional capacity is markedly impacted: they may have to walk with a stick or a walker or use a wheelchair, they may have to give up work or studying, and their social and affective life becomes progressively poorer.
- The results of the study showed a mean reduction in pain score some 3 points from 7.3 to 4.3.
- 34% of patients were able to discontinue all their previous antalgic medications - mainly analgesics that help relieve pain and stop you altering how you move with that pain another 14% were able to halve those medications.
- At 3 months of CBD treatment, 75% of patients were able to do more general activities.
- Over half saw their mood improve, felt less sad and showed sleep improvement, including less sleep disturbance.
- Approximately 38% returned to work or to school, and 34% felt less social. Finally, 38% of patients felt less anxious and enjoyed their life more under CBD treatment.
- The patients took a median of 300mg/day of pure synthetic CBD.
A PAPER OUTLINING THE PHARMACOLOGY OF PSORIASIS ACKNOWLEDGES THE POTENTIAL BENEFITS OF PHYTOCANNABINOIDS IN THE TREATMENT OF THE DISEASE AND RECOMMENDS APPROPRIATE CLINICAL TRIALS.
- Psoriasis, a condition that causes red and crusty patches of skin covered with silvery scales currently affects about 4% of the population and whose incidence is constantly increasing - it is of unknown cause.
- Considering that both oxidative stress and inflammation are observed in the course of psoriasis, and that phytocannabinoids can regulate both processes …. there is a high probability that these compounds will create new therapeutic possibilities for autoimmune skin diseases, mainly psoriasis.
- Effective treatment of skin diseases usually involves compounds/preparations whose action is both antioxidative and anti-inflammatory, with little side effects - certain phytocannabinoids have, at the least, strong anecdotal evidence for this.
The Directors of the Company accept responsibility for the contents of this announcement.
ANANDA DEVELOPMENTS PLC +44 (0)7463 686 497
Chief Executive Officer
PETERHOUSE CAPITAL LIMITED +44 (0)20 7469 0930
About Ananda Developments
Ananda is an AQSE-listed medical cannabis company creating
For more information, please visit: https://anandadevelopments.com/
Reach is a non-regulatory news service. By using this service an issuer is confirming that the information contained within this announcement is of a non-regulatory nature. Reach announcements are identified with an orange label and the word “Reach” in the source column of the News Explorer pages of London Stock Exchange’s website so that they are distinguished from the RNS